Hampton beach is patrolled by volunteer lifesavers every Saturday, Sunday and Public Holiday from mid November to Easter Monday.
The club has over nine hundred members, mostly families living in the Melbourne suburbs surrounding Hampton.
The club was established in 1909 as a swimming club to cater for the holiday crowds arriving by car and train from the City of Melbourne, 20km away. A double storey, wooden clubhouse was built in 1923 and served the club until 1997.
A new brick and steel clubhouse was built in 1998 as part of a $3 million beach renourishment project funded by the Victorian State Government. The new clubhouse is double storey, and includes an air-conditioned and centrally heated upstairs function room, kitchen and office. Downstairs are the boat and board storage areas, kiosk, members gym, first aid room, patrol room and members change rooms.
The club’s colours, until 1998, were black on white (the club cap being white with a black stripe). These are now white on black, with our club cap being black with a white stripe, front to back.
The main purpose of Hampton Life Saving Club is to ensure the safety of the bathing public. Being a totally volunteer organisation, we rely on membership fees, fundraising, and donations to keep our club going. We hold events such as Sausage Sizzles, Youth Events and Family BBQ’s. Not everyone has to be a lifesaver though. We have many people helping out in the background with our Nippers program, fundraisers, holding a position on the board and committee or merely supporting our events by being there!